1. Jo Kaptijn
  2. Drivers for increasing renewable energy
  3. Friday, July 10 2015, 01:06 PM
Do you think people will wait for a climate crisis (a burning platform) to change and stop using fossil fuels?

Or will policy, financial incentives or something else (conscience?) save us?
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Malte Krieger Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
The poll is quite balanced at the moment. :) 'Financial incentives' are one vote ahead and I also consider this as the biggest motivation. When citizens do have to make cuts related to their personal finances, large parts of society would chose the 'easy' way and stick to what is cheapest and available - and I wouldn't necessarily blame people for that, because sadly enough, this is what is propagated: everyone needs everything, fast and cheap.
So, I think that many people are most willing to use alternatives, when these are not (much) more costly. And some social groups might be highly committed and financial incentives might not even be necessary.
Comment
Zoobia Nadeem Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
The poll does not allow two answers. If it did I would choose both reasons to change and financial incentives.
Comment
samuel isichei Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
while I think that the policies that we have now are steering us in the right direction, however I often think that the greatest motivator for change comes with new technologies and opportunities. when there are new technologies, change becomes almost effortless. I think that human civilization so far has been brought about by the emergence of new technologies.
Comment
Gloria Faulkner Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I think it's all about the awareness and technology development of renewable energy. Here is an example from my local community. 5 years ago in my neighborhood i couldn't see any solar panels. No one was talking about it. As soon as the benefits of solar energy got widespread, everyone started to talk about it and now there are so many houses in my area powered by solar, it's really incredible. Of course it's also the technological innovation and incentives from the government but also people realized how great is to power your house from solar (from nature).
Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.